Hey, everyone! So, summer approaches—the school year is coming to an end (or some of you may already be done with school), the temperature is rising, and we are freeeeee!… for unlimited time on the Internet and reading and stuff… Just kidding!
Anyway, the idea struck me the other day to create a summer playlist, as I was listening to some summer-esque songs, and couldn’t help myself! So I created a playlist on Spotify called Summer 2014 Playlist, so check that out if you want! I’ll definitely be adding to it, so it’s going to blossom 😀 (Note that not all of these songs were released in 2014. I just thought they had that summery vibe :D)
The only thing is, you’ve got to have a Spotify account to listen DX I wish that weren’t the case, but oh, well. If you do have a Spotify account and you want to listen to my playlist, tell me what you think!
For those of you who don’t have a Spotify account but would like to know some songs on the playlist, I’ll tell you a few of them!
EDIT: I remembered I have an 8tracks account and was able to put most of the songs from my original Summer 2014 Playlist onto another playlist over on 8tracks. I wasn’t able to get all of the songs, but most of them are there! You can listen to it here, and it isn’t required to have an account to listen to it 😀 I hope you enjoy!
Before making this playlist, I made a list of songs, which I found by listening to my local alternative station (which I haven’t listened to in forever—I don’t really listen to the radio much), Pandora, Songza, and iHeartRadio. Then, I made the playlist. I discovered quite a few artists that I’d never heard of, or that I had heard of, but had never checked out.
For my playlist, I have them mentally divided into daytime/afternoon songs and evening/nighttime songs. Lol, I don’t know why, but that’s just how I roll XD
1. “Terrible Love” by Birdy — I had heard of Birdy before, but I’d never checked out her music. IT’S WONDERFUL, OMG. I have a few Birdy songs on this playlist. I love her sound, it’s very mellow. I’d probably consider this an afternoon song… but maybe like a gray summer afternoon…
2. “That’s Not My Name” by The Ting Tings — I remember this song from YEARS ago! It totally brings back memories. I remember my friends and I were into this song when it came out. And we could barely understand the lyrics. In fact, I only just looked up the lyrics for the first time yesterday, lol. Good times 😀 Anyway, I find this song more of a daytime song.
3. “Sail” by AWOLNATION — A night song, definitely! I remember when this came out, I was SO SICK of it because the radio stations would not stop playing it! That’s part of the reason I’m not that into Lorde, though I do have one of her songs on my playlist.
4. “Bangarang” by Skrillex — I’ve heard of Skrillex, but I’ve never really been into his music. This is the only song I really like by him. I can’t decide if this is a daytime song or a nighttime song… I think it’s got both a night and day feel. What do you think? (Or am I weird for categorizing music by times of the day? XD)
5. “My Sweet Summer” by The Dirty Heads — I only know one other Dirty Heads songs, “Lay Me Down,” which I think is another summery song. I only just heard “My Sweet Summer” and I think it’s fitting for this playlist, haha. I think this is more of a night song.
6. “Goddess” by Banks — I discovered Banks from her song, “Waiting Game.” I really love that song, and I think this song is just as awesome. It’s got a slower beat, which I like. In my opinion, it’s another night song XD
7. “Heads Will Roll” by Yeah Yeah Yeahs — I love this song. Abfab, mah friends. It’s great! It’s got more of an electric feel. Kinda dance-y. Though the lyrics are a bit odd… This is a night song.
8. “Big Jet Plane” by Angus & Julia Stone — I was first introduced to this song on my favorite radio station months ago, and it’s just so peaceful and mellow. I feel like I’m slowly getting more and more into peaceful songs, though I still enjoy my Three Days Grace and Halestorm 😀 “Big Jet Plane” has an afternoon feel, I think. It’s really pretty ^.^
9. “Do You Love Me Like You Used To” by Best Coast — I discovered Best Coast back in March when I heard their song “When I’m With You.” They have a beachy sound, which I’m really enjoying. It kind of reminds me of Gidget (if y’all have ever watched that show). Daytime song!
10. “Back to the River” by Lily & Madeleine — Okay, this song—IT’S SO PRETTY. I love the sound. It’s, once again, very mellow and relaxing. I could listen to this song over and over… well, maybe not, because then I wouldn’t like it, but you get my point, lol. I think this is an evening song.
I think I have a thing for “night” songs! Or that may just be because I prefer night to day for some reason.
Another song I’d add to this playlist is “In The Dark” by JoJo (I’ve been a fan of hers for years), but I, unfortunately, can’t add this to the playlist because it’s not available on Spotify. I haven’t heard this song since it came out a few years ago, but I reeeeeallllly like it 😀
Well, that’s all for now! What do you think of my choices? Do you recognize any of these songs or artists? What songs would be on your summer playlist? Let me know!